Flag and coat of arms
Võru acquired its coat of arms in 1788. A spruce on a golden background was depicted on it. It is added in the ukase of the empress that the town has a spruce on its coat of arms because it is characteristic of the local landscape. Apparently the tree being so conspicuous had attracted attention.
The design of the coat of arms of Võru submitted to the Senate in 1864 and 1866 was similar to that of the original coat of arms.
When Estonia became a republic the historical coat of arms, a spruce on a golden background was used.
On 17 September 1837 the coat of arms was approved by the municipal council because only the shape of the escutcheon was changed. The colours of the coat of arms, yellow-green-yellow were also used on the flag.
(T.Oja and E.Medijainen, Coats of Arms and Flags of Estonia, Tallinn 1993)